Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Recipe for a Planter

I love to come up with "recipes" for container plantings. The inspiration for the example that I am sharing with you today comes from Garden Design Magazine. One day, years ago, I received a subscription packet in the mail from the magazine. The packet contained gorgeous imagery, including the one below. I have carried this image with me to garden centers, posted it on my wall, kept it at my desk. It's quite worn out, but for whatever reason, this is my "it" planter. I absolutely love it. To some it may be a bit schizophrenic, but I love everything about it! The combination of textures, colors and heights really speak to me.

Photo from Garden Design Magazine

Since this was an ad to sell the magazine, and not an article on container plantings, there was no guide that listed the plantings. Sooooooo, I've taken it upon myself to dissect this planter, even down to the cultivars, to give you a guide on how to create this gorgeous look!

First, the tallest plant, is Canna 'Tropicanna Black'
Canna 'Tropicanna Black'
Photo credit: Garden.org
 The second tallest plant is Gaillardia. This is the only plant that I was unable to find the specific cultivar - photo below is a placeholder. I would make sure to use one of the taller Gaillardias, something in the 18" - 24" height range.
Gaillardia
Photo credit: Proven Winners
 The third tier of plantings is Crocosmia 'Lucifer'
Crocosmia 'Lucifer'
Photo credit: Better Homes and Gardens
 Right smack dab in the middle is a dark succulent called Aeonium 'Atropurpureum'
(Note: In the original photo this plant is flanked with more of the Crocosmia 'Lucifer')
Aeonium 'Atropurpureum'
Photo credit: findmeplants.com.uk
 In the lowest tier, arching up from the left and right is Lantana 'Dallas Red'
Lantana 'Dallas Red'
Photo credit: Central Coast Growers
 Located in the center of the lower tier is an ornamental pepper plant, Capsicum annuum.
Capsicum annuum
Photo credit: Proven Winners
 And finally, spilling out of the planter on the right side is black sweet potato vine,
Ipomoea batatas 'Blackie'
Ipomoea batatas  'Blackie'
Photo credit: Proven Winners

I hope this planter recipe has inspired you to go out and explore different plant combinations! If you feel like it's too much for you to tackle, scale it back to your three favorite selections and just go with it! All of the plants listed above have wonderful characteristics, so scaling the variety back a little will not compromise the integrity of the planter. As always, let me know your questions, especially if you are stumped in your planter selections. I would love to help you!

So, what's your "it" planter? Do you have a favorite planter "recipe?" Email me your photos and I will compile them in a follow up post.

No comments:

Post a Comment