Monday, June 25, 2012

My Design Process: Schematic Elevation Study

One of my main goals for working with clients is to ensure that they are very satisfied with their design. Recently, I was introduced to a home owner that had paid for design services, not once, but twice, for a landscape plan of her home's front foundation. In both cases, she was left with a plan that she did not like.

That tells me that:
There must have been some sort of communication breakdown between client and designer, and,
The designer did not structure their fees to include any revisions to the plan, leaving the client unsatisfied.

After interviewing my new client I learned the following:
  • She is very concerned about her home's appearance from her driveway approaching the house.
  • She loves colorful plants that have an extended blooming season.
  • She is very influenced by tropical plants and textures.
  • She loves a mix of traditional and contemporary.
  • She desires a bold, yet simple landscape plant palette.

Over the years, I've also learned that people do not always positively respond to plans in 2D. Sometimes, it is better to present a concept in elevation, section or perspecitve views. I decided to create a concept study for this client and present it in an elevation study.

First, I photographed the facade of the home.



Second, I selected the foundation plantings and sketched those on a trace overlay.


Third, I rendered the sketch in color pencil.


Lastly, I scanned the overlay and labeled it in Photoshop. Here's the final piece:



I am addressing the clients needs by:
  • Creating a balanced planting scheme that is appealing from the driveway approach.
  • Using hardy plants that provide extended color, such as 'Natchez' Crape Myrtle, Yellow Lantana, and Red Knockout Rose.
  • Providing 3 different types of palms, plus a variety of foliage textures, to give the palette a more tropical appearance.
  • Blending two different styles by using a traditional boxwood hedge and stone wall treatment, while proving contemporary planters, freshly painted red front door, and Bahama shutters (not shown).
  • Providing a variety of bold colors and textures, while maintaining a simple, homeowner-friendly, readily available, plant palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment