Saturday, May 5, 2012

Let the Gardening Begin

I am participating in the 2012 Urban Farm Handbook Challenge. It's a twelve month long, online gardening challege where some of the best gardening and homesteading bloggers lead discussion and provide tips and advice to creating your own little urban farmlette. Anyone can participate - it's free and you can go at your own pace. Since it started in February, I am actually behind in the challenge. But that's okay - better late than never.
As a part of our home and landscape renovation, we have decided to help breathe new life into my grandmother's vegetable garden. It's right next door to our house and it hasn't been used over multiple growing seasons. It's the perfect size for us - not too big, not too small. It has deer fencing around it - believe it or not, even though we are in town, they occasionally wander through.


To prepare the soil, we roto-tilled the existing leaf litter into the soil. I have plans to create a compost bin in the future. Again, I am a little behind on some things. I also don't have a watering system installed either, so it's handwatering for now.

What I planted:
Kaleidoscope Mix Carrots, Clemson Spineless Okra (which ironically enough, isn't without spines - I learned that last summer).
Carrot and Okra rows

'Bonnie Green Bell' Bellpepper

'Crimson Sweet' Watermelon

'Burpless Bush' Cucumber

I've also planted 'Big Boy' tomatoes, 'Husky Red' Cherry tomatoes, 'Black Beauty' Zucchini squash, and Crookneck Yellow Squash.

I have two gardening companions across the fence. Don't know their names yet, but they are the sweetest girls. Maybe the aforementioned deer won't be so much of a problem with these ladies around! I've got to add extra large milk bones to my grocery list...



So, that's it for this week's planting. Next week I'll go through my seed packets and come up with a strategy. It will most likely be beans, herbs, swiss chard and mustard greens. We'll see...
What's growing in your garden? Are you trying something new or different this year?

Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment